Just try something different. I work with green pesto very often. It combines well, is very fresh in color and gives a great taste. For this puff pastry variation, I deliberately chose a red pesto because I served the strudel with a rocket salad. Of course, the strudel can also be enjoyed as a snack, ideally with a sour cream dip.
Puff Pastry with red Pesto
1 pack of puff pastry
1 jar of red pesto, about 130 g
200 g grated cheese (Emmental or Gouda)
1 egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees top/bottom heat and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Roll out the puff pastry.
- Spread the red pesto on the dough.
- Spread the cheese over the dough.
- Form the dough into a roll and press the ends tightly together.
- Cut diagonally into the roll with scissors and turn the resulting corners to the side.
- Place the strudel on the baking tray, brush with egg yolk and sprinkle with a colorful mixture of seeds.
- Bake the strudel at 200 degrees for about 25 minutes until golden.