Along with fried chicken, roast chicken is one of the most popular dishes in Austria. Nice and crispy on the outside, soft, tender chicken on the inside. A good fried chicken recipe doesn’t need many ingredients: Thyme, salt, pepper, good olive oil and a good chicken – preferably organic or you know the “chicken owner” personally. The crispy skin is especially popular for the roast chicken. This simple roast chicken recipe is sure to succeed and is a real treat! Try it out! It’s wonderful to prepare ahead of time and is perfect when guests arrive.
Crispy roast chicken
1 bunch of root vegetables, greens
3-4 cloves of garlic
1 organic lemon (untreated)
Potatoes as garnish
- Heat the oven to 200-220°C.
- Wash the chicken and pat dry.
- Mix the olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme into a marinade and rub it all over the chicken, inside and out.
- Put the garlic cloves inside the chicken.
- Cut the lemon so that the juices can escape a little, then add to the inside of the chicken in the same way.
- Tie the thighs together with kitchen twine.
- Put some olive oil in a roasting pan and place the chicken on the chopped root vegetables, breast side up.
- Quarter the potatoes, marinate them with salt, pepper and olive oil and place them around the chicken.
- Roast the chicken at 200-220°C for about 15 minutes.
- After that, pour some chicken broth and reduce the heat to 140-150°C. So that a delicious gravy is created.
- Depending on the size of the chicken, cook for about 60-90 minutes. Once halfway through, brush the chicken with the juices.
- At the end, increase the cooking temperature to 200-220°C for about 10 minute so that the chicken becomes wonderfully crispy.
- Cooking test: remove the chicken from the oven, pierce the meat between the thigh and the breast with a meat skewer. If clear juice runs out, the chicken is cooked. If pink juice still runs out of the meat, then the chicken still needs to go back into the oven.
I got a great thyme salt from Gasthof Brüggler. You are very welcome to use salt and fresh or dried thyme instead. It’s also fun to experiment a bit with different spices and seasoning salts.
Tip – this is how it gets crispy
To make the chicken really crispy on all sides, you can also divide it into 2 halves. This will make the chicken skin incredibly crispy on all sides and the cooking time will also be shorter.