Lentil salad is traditionally eaten on New Year’s Eve. In many older cultures, lentils and peas symbolize wealth, so the more lentils you eat on New Year’s Eve, the more money you should have in the New Year.
Colorful lentil salad
250 g champagne lentils
1 green pepper
Apple Cider Vinegar
- For this salad, soak the lentils in water and leave for a few hours or overnight.
- Place the lentils in a saucepan with the water and cook until soft. The water should cover the lentils well.
- Strain the cooked lentils and rinse with cold water.
- Marinate the still warm lentils with salt and vinegar and leave to cool.
- Finely chop the onion and finely dice the peppers and cucumber. Scatter the onion, peppers and cucumber over the cooled lentils and drizzle with olive oil.
- Finally, season the lentil salad with pepper and salt.
If the lentils are not soaked beforehand, the cooking time must be increased, this is then around 1 hour.